Fashion Draping & Vintage Dressmaking
Participants are encouraged to purchase the supplies needed to continue their craft and/or to participate in additional workshops. If you're truly dedicated to your craft you must invest in it. Personal tools and supplies may be purchased through the instructor.
Design & drape your own dress
In this workshop participants will design, drape and then construct their own creation in it's final fashion fabric using half-scale miniatures and couture techniques. Pre-reqs.: Complete basic draping.
In this comprehensive workshop participants learn basic couture techniques while constructing a garment from a true vintage sewing pattern.
This workshop has two options:
- 5-Day Workshop (4 hours each day): Construction of the muslin only $200.00
- 8-Day Workshop (4 hours each day) : Construction of the muslin and final fashion fabric. $320.00
Hand Sewing & Tambour
We’ll explore the beautiful world of hand sewing by learning and then applying a variety of permanent and temporary hand stitches to pattern pieces. Learn, not limited to, how to use a thimble, wax thread, attach underlinings, use thread-tracing and tailor tacking and more. No sewing machines allowed. A vintage sewing pattern is provided for use in class.
These workshops are great for anyone wanting to learn how to sew by hand; even if you have no prior sewing experience, to improve your hand sewing or to learn new hand sewing skills.
The beautiful art of embroidery....an element often used in couture sewing.
These workshops are perfect for the beginning draper or for anyone who's previously taken a draping class and would like a review.
Each component includes a comprehensive lecture/demonstration on dress forms, grain and fabric blocking.
Level 3: 5-Day Workshop
- Participants will learn how to drape a complete basic (bodice front, bodice back, skirt front, skirt back and sleeve). This workshop includes flat pattern making instruction.
Level 2: 4-Day Workshop
- Participants learn how to drape a complete sleeveless basic (a basic dress which includes the bodice front, bodice back, skirt front and skirt back).
- Participants learn how to drape a basic sleeveless bodice front and back. This workshop is taught in full and half-scale.
- The Basic Sleeve
- Make your own pressing boards. Supplies & materials included
- How to make a dress form.
The Self-Draped French Jacket
In this workshop participants will design and drape their own version of the famous jacket Madame CoCo Chanel made famous.
The Vintage French Jacket
In this workshop participants will use a vintage sewing pattern as the muse for working up their own version of the jacket CoCo Chanel made famous.
fashion draping beyond the basics
The two following workshops require the completion of the Level 3 Draping Workshop or completion
- Draping the A-Line Dress
- Draping the Pencil Skirt
- Draping the Sheath
- Draping the Bodice: French, Princess & Bustier
- Sleeve variations--participants learn how to drape 4 sleeve variations.
- Skirts--participants learn how to drape 4 fashion skirts.
Learn how to sew denim jeans that look professionally-made, including a fly-front zipper, front pockets, patch pockets and with all the topstitching and hardware.
Flat Pattern making Workshops
Dart Manipulation (Ten lessons)